Częstochowa, Jasna Góra, the Knights' Hall
© Photo by MadonnaJ
Taken1 year ago
DescriptionJasna Góra, the Knights' Hall
Along the monastery's southern facade and beside the Chapel of the Virgin, the Knights' Hall is located. It was constructed in 1647 in Renaissance style and is characteristed by the richness and harmony of its architecture. (Its cornices and the capitals of its columns are famous). The Knights' Hall has an eminently representative function for Jasna Góra. Nine 17th century paintings (the Jasna Góra school) adorn the walls and depict important events in the monastery's history. Various regimental flags from the World Wars are also featured. At the far end of the hall there is the altar of St. John the Evangelist, of the 18th century.
The Knights' Hall was the venue for the Diet's debates during the reign of John Casimir (1657) and in later years, it hosted meetings and official gatherings as well as the annual theological and philosophical conferences of ecclesiastical scholars. In 1936, the first plenary Synod of the Polish Church was held in this Hall.
Poland, Jasna Góra, Częstochowa